Penne with Tuna, Mushrooms and Olives
- 1 jar Tonnino tuna in olive oil
- 500g (1 lb) penne pasta
- 1 cup Pecorino Romano cheese, grated
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- ¼ cup medium pitted green olives, halved
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons small capers, drained and rinsed
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ cup chicken broth
- ½ cup chopped fresh basil
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook according to package instructions. Reserve 1 cup of the cooking water, then drain the pasta. Place the pasta back into the saucepan and add 1/2 cup cheese. Toss until coated.
- Meanwhile, in a medium frying pan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms, garlic, salt and pepper to taste. Cook, stirring frequently, until the mushrooms begin to brown, making sure the garlic doesn’t burn.
- Add the olives, tomato paste, capers, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper and the tuna. Using a wooden spoon, break up the tuna into 1-inch pieces. Add the chicken broth and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Pour the tuna mixture over the pasta. Add the remaining 1/2 cup cheese and the basil, and toss until coated, using as much of the reserved cooking liquid to loosen the sauce. Serve immediately.